Travelling alone is probably not the first thing that a woman thinks of when the travel bug bites. However, the desire for expression, freedom, and a break from stereotypes will want to make you take that solo trip – a time to indulge and find that ‘me time’. You owe it to yourself and we are here bringing a list of safe places around the world for the adventurous woman.
- Visit the vibrant city of Rome in Italy. The soft wafts of air laden with the aromatic smells of traditional cooking and the faces of the beautiful people will instantly uplift your spirits. Added to this are the city’s jaw dropping sites with inspiring architecture – visit the Vatican City, Saint Peter’s Basilica, the Pantheon, Roman Forum, and the Coliseum (the Flavian Amphitheatre). Soak in the romance and empowering feel by walking around the cobbled alleys and Piazzas – take a sip of refreshing water from the city’s fountains – fresh and hygienic.
- New York City or the Big Apple an amazing place to explore, be one with a sea of people, and yet keep the ‘private space around you’ intact. With a seemingly endless number of iconic landmarks and gourmet food NYC sure has its share of fun and thrills. Walk through the streets of Manhattan, or a stroll in Central Park, or visit the flea market in Brooklyn. You could also take a cruise on the beautiful Hudson River, visit Times Square, and learn more about the country through the galleries and museums.
- Touted as one of the best and safest places for solo women travellers, Melbourne is brimming over with scrumptious food, culture, and live music. It is known as the cultural capital of Australia, Melbourne appeals to the soft side of women with its jade gardens, Victorian architecture, lush parks, places to shop, theatres, museums, and galleries. Given its location, it is easy to access other beautiful places such as the Grampian National Park, The Great Ocean Road, and Philip Island. What is even more appealing about Melbourne is that women can even stroll around alone at night – and with everyone speaking English, it is easy to get around and find what you need by asking the locals.
- Another one of the safest places for women to travel alone to is Reykjavik, Iceland. The highlight of this place is that the Global Peace Index has named it as number one with regard to serenity and peace amongst other regions and countries of the world. However, this is not the only reason for it being a great place for women travellers on a journey alone. Reykjavik is the hub of culture and its picturesque landscapes make it a picture perfect place. Sit back on Blue Lagoon and be awestruck by the display of nature in the Northern Lights – the aura of the Aurora.
- A pulsating, friendly, and safe city, solo women travellers will find a lot to love about Amsterdam, Netherlands. The stunning locales, striking canals, renowned and inspiring museums, magnificent bridges, and visually appealing architecture make Amsterdam an enthralling place to visit. There is something to delight every traveller – the partying kind, the ones who want to more about the culture and history, and even those who just want to lay back and do nothing – this old European city has something for everyone.
Women travellers who yearn to travel alone must do so – conventions or fears must not stop you from exploring. All you need to do is learn about the place you wish to visit such that you are not met with any unpleasant surprises.